- For the cake:
- 1 3/4 cups pastry flour
- One (1) tsp. baking powder
- One (1) tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance whipped spread
- One (1) cup sugar
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- Two (2) tsps. real vanilla extract
- One (1) tsp. unfiltered cider vinegar
- For the milk mixture:
- Two (2) Tbsps. cream of coconut
- Two (2) Tbsps. coconut milk
- Two (2) cups plain soy milk
- Two (2) Tbsps. vegan whipped topping
- Two (2) tsps. lime juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour an 8" cake pan. Line the pan with parchment.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt, whipped spread, sugar, water, vanilla, and vinegar until blended.
5. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, whisking until smooth. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until you can insert a toothpick into the center and remove it cleanly.
6. Remove from the oven and let sit for several minutes, then remove the cake from the pan and let it cool on a rack. Cut the cake in half horizontally, then place the bottom half back in the pan.
7. In a bowl, mix the cream of coconut and coconut milk until they are about the consistency of condensed milk.
8. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the coconut mixture, soy milk, and vegan whipping cream until smooth.
9. If using, add the lime juice and bring the mixture to a boil.
10. The milk mixture has to come to a boil in order to soak through the cake.
11. Pour the milk mixture over the bottom half of the cake and press with a spatula until all of the milk mixture has been absorbed.
12. Add some more milk, then replace the top layer of the cake. Pour more of the milk mixture over the cake, and press with a spatula until it has all been absorbed. Let the milk mixture soak into the cake for at least 30 minutes, then refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
13. Serve with fruit and vegan whipped topping(if using).
This meal was fantastic, and I will make all of these dishes again.