- Eight (8) oz. extra firm tofu
- Eight (8) oz. broccoli florets
- One (1) onion, chopped
- Two (2) cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Two (2) Tbsps. olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. five spice powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Drain the block of tofu. Then, wrap in an absorbent cloth, and apply some weight. (I put it on a cutting board and placed a pan with a bag of lentils in it on top.) Let this sit for about 15 minutes to allow more liquid to be pressed out.
3) Remove the tofu and cut into small cubes. Place the cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 25 minutes. The tofu should turn golden brown and puff up a little. Remove it from the oven and let it cool.
4) Mix the soy sauce, five spice powder, ginger, and mustard in a small bowl. Add the cooled tofu and let marinate for at least 15 minutes.
5) In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion turns slightly translucent. Add the broccoli, salt, and pepper. Once the broccoli is cooked, add the tofu and marinade, stir, and let simmer.
6) Garnish with sesame seeds, and serve hot. Enjoy!